7/18 On to Beijing

We land in Beijing prior to dinner, so we walk towards the Forbidden City. The street transforms into a giant food festival, with booth after booth of authentic foods, and I cannot even guess what they might be. Many meats are threaded onto skewers and presented in large piles. The people are yelling and cooking and eating. It is very busy and the smell is horrible. Nicholas leads us as we walk single file to ensure a better pace. He heads off the street to a quieter sidewalk where I wonder what I am stepping in, and trying to clear all thoughts from my head. As we approach the Forbidden City, and I know we are close because I can see the roof tops. A man approaches us and wants me to buy his book. As I continue to say no, he continues to walk with us. He lowers the price and is very persistant. People begin to watch us as I try to ignore this man. Finally, he leaves us, just in time for others to approach us...books, maps, bicycle rides, tours...the kids are tired and hot and I am getting tired of avoiding the street people. And what a wonderful disappointment once inside...the litter and stagnant water. If we had eaten prior to our walk, I am guessing we all would have been sick. We don't stay long. A few pictures to prove that we were there, but we turn right around and head back to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment