7/20 Beijing Zoo and the Pearl Market

We grab a taxi in the morning and head to the zoo to see the pandas. What could be better? Ugh...it is so hot and crowded. I have to fight to get to the ticket window and the locals just push their way in front of me. Inside the zoo, there are so many people, we cannot see the animals. Luckily, the pandas are in the trees, so no one was blocking the view.


We wander around the zoo a bit and buy some ice cream. Mr. Yung had told us that the subway was "easy," so we try it out. We buy tickets in the machine...I couldnt find the button but some impatient teenager steps in and presses it for me. I ask a friendly face about getting on the subway and she follows us on. When the doors open, she tries to tell me to get off, but I show her my map and she rides with us until our stop. We wave good-bye and she smiles. I am not sure what she was thinking, but I was very grateful to have her as our guardian angel.

I wish she was with us at the Pearl Market. We thought we would do some more shopping, but the vendors here are so pushy, I just want to leave. The vendors behind the counters gave me personal space and time to consider the purchase. The other vendors, though, grab at me and hold onto the kids. I am not doing any more shopping.

This picture is from the top of the footbridge. Crossing streets in China is quite an experience. I remember in Dalian when I went to cross and Cathy grabbed me and yelled, "don't die." The cars do not stop for the pedistrains, you are to stop in the middle and let the cars pass. We always made sure that we waited for a local to cross, and we attached ourselves to them. The traffic, both cars and people, just seem to flow. There is no rushing, no speeding, but a constant movement, and you must follow the flow, or you cause issues.














No comments:

Post a Comment